Saturday 18 February 2012

Bye-bye baby belly

I wrote a post for my work blog a while back on how much pressure there is on Mums to lose weight after having a baby. The post got the most hits of all our articles so I thought I'd share it on here too.

I found it incredibly hard to lose weight after each pregnancy. Both times I lost the initial stone of baby, fluid and whatever the hell else comes out after having a baby (was anyone else terrified when they saw what had come out of their body post-childbirth? Another thing they don't tell you when you're pregnant: you will sit, clutching your newborn in what looks like a murder scene).

The rest of whatever I put on clung to my hips, boobs, belly and bum for dear life until I finished breadstfeeding. I lost not an ounce until they were weaned. I think in my mind I was probably thinking 'an extra 500 calories a day-pass the biscuits' and taking on more than I needed but hey, I was knackered, I was stressed, I deserved a few biccies, right?

Although I'm now the same weight as before I got pregnant, there's no doubt that my body has completely changed. My hips are bigger and I wonder if my stomach will ever be flat again (it better be by July, I have a pool party to go to don'cha know?)

I'm still working hard to get to a point where I'm comfortable in my own skin again but I wonder if it's possible after 2 pregnancies? Anyone out there achieved it post-baby? I'd love to hear from other people in my position. In the meantime, take a peek at the article here.

1 comment:

  1. I've got to be honest and say that I lost the weight quite quickly, mainly through running around rather than any formal exercise (I have a lot of nervous energy). But I definitely ODed on biscuits…the bowl of fruit came out when the health visitor appeared!

    ReplyDelete