Friday 29 June 2012

Shake it

I totally feel as if I may go off on a tangent during this post, as I so often do when talking about exercise (it's been my job for 12 years, I have alot to say). I'll try to stay on topic, please forgive me if I stray slightly.

So yes, exercise. I am currently doing alot of the stuff. My first sun holiday since my honeymoon 7 years ago, not to mention my first time in a bikini since having two babies (eek!) has made me ramp up my efforts in the last few months.

A general week will include cycling 15 miles to work and back twice a week, a 3 mile run, a Body Attack class and 2 weights sessions. I combine the run with a weights session so I'm at the gym 2-3 times a week.

Now, I've been eating 'clean' (foods in their natural state i.e. unprocessed) as much as possible a while now (bar a weekend vino or, erm, five and the odd cakey/chocolatey treat thrown in) which has helped with a good amount of fat loss but I want to now 'sculpt' and work on my Jenifer Aniston arms (sigh).

As much as I try I don't think I'm getting enough protein in my diet to fuel the amount of exercise I do. I'm not a massive meat-eater as mentioned in my last post and though I get ample protein to hit the RDA through pulses, grains and nuts, I think I just need a little extra to aid recovery and allow for muscle repair.

So, I read Nicola's blog with interest this week on Bio-Synergy's range of sports nutrition for women. I've always poo-pooed the idea of supplementation, believing that we can get everything we need from our diet but since upping the ante on my training I'm finding myself constantly hungry and having to fight the urge as I try to lose fat.

Also, I train early in the mornings. I leave the house often before 6:30am and even I (greedy) can't face breakfast early enough to digest it for this time. After reading the gumpf on the products I wonder if a protein-based drink before I train could make a difference to not only my performance but also how fast I recover.

A product which caught my eye is their Activate powder, a protein-based shake which provides slow-burning energy, some essential vitamins and minerals and that all-important protein (which promotes satiety). Recommended use is before a workout or between meals when the hunger pangs strike. So far, sounding so good.

So I ordered me a tub of Activate and await my delivery with anticipation as to whether it makes a difference or not. What say you, readers? Has anyone tried supplementation? I'd love to hear your experiences as I envision myself swanning around Barcelona, svelte (ha!) and tanned (sunburned) enjoying the results (please?) of this (bloody) hard work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for reading my blog, and thanks for the link! Appreciate it. I hope your foray into protein supplements brings you the results you want :) Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem at all, thanks to you for an informative post! Looking forward to starting the shakes and hopefully seeing some results :)

    ReplyDelete